Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Quick Update

Holiday thoughts:
This is a bittersweet holiday that we acknowledge. Cookouts, fun in the sun and being off work are all great benefits of this day. We also though take the time to think of my cousin who passed away on Memorial day a few years back. Then when we decorate family graves during the weekend, memories of our loved ones who aren't with us fill our hearts. We take a moment to reflect on those who gave all for this country and for those still in uniform. Thankful for them all.

How it went:
This holiday weekend was absolutely beautiful. My sister and nephew arrived Saturday and we had a great weekend hanging out with my mom. There was no big cookout. Instead, mom made her chili for chili buns and we had melon and strawberries for dessert. I used my Myfitnesspal app to figure the calories and serving size for her chili. Turns out was just about 280 calories for a bowl full. Unfortunately, I let old Mike make 4 chili buns with it and some chips with dip. By Saturday night I was about 536 calories over. Not bad, considering I still was under 2150 calories for the day. Chloe did just as average for that day too. Little over her limit, but not much.

Sunday we met up with my sister and nephew at a little Italian restaurant. This place has an awesome assortment of cakes in a big glass case right in the middle of the dining room area. I made sure to sit with my back to it. Poor Chloe was staring right at it and my sister made sure that we knew she would be trying a piece which then got Austin fired up for it too. We stayed strong through the lunch. I ordered a grilled chicken salad with dressing on the side and avoided breadsticks. Chloe had a turkey sandwich melt on rye along with steamed veggies.

Then came dessert...

Now usually we NEVER get dessert. This time though, my sister and nephew ordered a piece (which are gigantic pieces) and the dad in me took over instead of the dietician. I figured that they are kids and it's hard to just watch someone eat that stuff especially when you are a kid. I let them split 1 piece. I think it may have lasted 9 minutes before it was devoured. Again, they could have did much worse and they both got their dessert on without gorging on a whole piece each. I didn't have any, so I felt really good. Chloe got the regrets, but Austin was perfectly content with eating his half.

For dinner Sunday, my sister made a Mexican dinner for us. Long story short, it turned on my carb cravings and by 11pm I had consumed just under 2000 calories. This was 400 over my goal of 1600 calories. Chloe was also over her calories, but those pretty much left when the cake came to lunch.

Other stuff besides food:
Per my FitBit info collected, we walked an average of 3 miles both Saturday and Sunday. Today we have not did anything to get any calories burned. The "too hot outside" excuse was handed out today. We also have drank a ton of diet soda this weekend, so tonight I am struggling to get my water in. With weigh in at work tomorrow, I am not too excited about seeing the scales. While I didn't do terrible, I sure didn't do good this weekend. It's all good though, two bad meals aren't going to send us on the wrong path. One meal at a time and we will reach our goals. Have a great week friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment