Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Better to slip than fall

Weight loss update
Tuesday's work weigh-in found me up almost 1 1/2 pounds. Obviously, I was not happy considering in my head I was eating very well and at least moderately exercising. Than last night I looked at my food journal I keep on MyFitnessPal.com and seen the issue. There is too much of a good thing. Too much lean protein, fruit and portions in general I am sure led to the hidden calories. Maybe the estimation of 6 ounces of chicken breast was off by a couple. The one cup of frozen mixed fruit that I eyeballed possibly could have been close to two cups. So today I broke out my digital food scales to weigh my proteins and my measuring cups for my fruits. Problem solved.

Now about that slip/fall title...
Let me be honest, when I first seen I gained I was ticked. I was not thinking of poor measuring or too much food on my plate. I was thinking about the breadsticks, pizza and other "good" foods that I passed on and thinking how I should have just ate them.

So in my frustration I had a mini meltdown in the kitchen yesterday evening...before the epiphany of why I gained. I must have thought I worked at a restaurant as I grilled out chicken breasts, smoked sausage and turkey burgers. Enough food that I will have chicken for work lunches for 2 more days. My dinner consisted of 2 chicken breasts (probably 12 ounces total), about a hot dog length section of sausage and a 6 ounce turkey burger with reduced fat cheese. No buns, bread or anything else. Had I stopped there, it would have actually been a good day and I would have been under my calories, the fat content for the day not too bad and my carb intake great considering the small amount of food consumed for breakfast and lunch. Of course I didn't stop there. Later on I had another chicken breast, about 2/3 cup of peanut butter (my food drug of choice) and about 4 bites of pasta salad I had gotten for the wife. That took me to over 2300 calories instead of my self imposed 1600 calorie limit. My carbs were well over my limit, as I am trying to only get my carbs from fruits, veggies and brown rice/whole grain foods. After chilling out and seeing the error of my previous week, full guilt set in. Chloe was especially disappointed as she was the one pleading with me to stay out of the kitchen and put the food down. Ignoring her support made me feel like a huge turd.

But as I stated, it is better to have slipped than to fall. Today has been great. Had the day off to take the wife to get dental work done. She couldn't eat this morning, so I didn't either out of support. It was 1pm before I had a 6 ounce turkey cheeseburger and 6 ounces of chicken breast. Nothing else to go with it, so have to have some fruits/veggies tonight. Small slips are going to happen, but I feel good knowing I can shake it off and keep going.

Chloe's update
Chloe is down 5 pounds as of this past weekend. This week she is attending the school district's Gifted and Talented Camp, so still more school work for her. She promises to add her two cents soon.

Have a great rest of the week. Our next post will be after I do my bi-weekly weigh-in for the city wide contest on Saturday. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment