Tuesday, December 13, 2011

First Fast Food Challenge...

Tonight Chloe and her 7th grade choir sang at their Christmas concert at school. After it was over, I ended up going to the golden arches for dinner since it was so late. As I looked at the blown up pictures of burgers, fries and everything else, I could feel the cravings start to surface. Once the smell of the fries hit my nose, it really got to me. I fought this all off though and chose two grilled chicken snack wraps with no sauce instead of a big combo. The 460 calorie dinner left me feeling much better than the 800 calorie fried meal I would have usually chose. Chloe also made a good choice by having the grilled chicken sandwich and just a handful of fries. She could have passed on the fries, but she kept them in moderation...plus she is still a kid. Overall, we are very pleased with how we handled this first eating out obstacle.

As good as we did tonight, it was alarming to see how strong my cravings were after only 3 days eating right. I am without a doubt a food addict, foodie, compulsive eater or whatever you want to call it. If only I didn't love food so much this would be so easy to do. I really don't know where the love affair with food began. There are stories of those who substituted food for what is missing in their life, but mine is complete. Honestly, I think I just treat food the way others treat a hobby. With any luck, this blog will become my hobby and replace the attention given to food and eating. Old habits die hard, but at least I am trying to kill those old habits instead of nurturing them and passing them on to my kids.

Today we had our weight loss contest weekly weigh in. Over the last few weeks since we started, I really didn't commit to losing weight and eventually made my way up to 412 pounds as of last Tuesday December 6th. I was pleased to see the scale read 405.8 today, showing that I lost 6 pounds since my fresh start this past Sunday. The road ahead of me to the 200s is a long one and I can't focus on that. Instead I am just making short term smaller goals. So for this week my goal is to be under 400 pounds when I weigh on December 20th. Slow and steady wins the race and that is so hard for me to accept. I am so big and so unhappy with my weight that I want it gone now. Unfortunately though, every time I lose it quick I seem to gain it back even quicker. Therefore, slow and steady will be my way from now on...(not too slow though hopefully ;-)

That's all for now. Pictures of me and the girl will be on here soon, that way you can put a face to our posts (for those of you that do not know us already).

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment