Thursday, August 8, 2013

Good...For Now Anyway...

When you stop doing something for a few days, it is easy to not do it again. I hadn't been for a walk in a few days and was really dreading going for one this evening. Fortunately Chloe wanted to get back to our exercise routine and of course I went with the family. I am so glad I did. After 31 minutes we had walked 2 miles, and I actually incorporated some jogging in with my walk. Sure I had a couple catches in my side from not breathing right, and my knees are throbbing now, and I could only jog about 1/10th mile at a time...but it was more active than I've ever been! And that is good enough...for now.

I have started following several pages from others losing weight on Facebook. By the way, like my page  http://www.facebook.com/bigdaddytofitdaddy if you would. Anyway, these pages have been so great in distracting me from wanting to go back to old habits and instead focus on what I need to do and motivating me to stay on track. The only problem I am having lately from looking at all these new friends, is playing the keeping up with the Jones' syndrome. I want to lift those weights. I want to do those burpees. I want to run 3 miles. I want to burn 2000 calories in a workout.

But I can't. Not now anyway. With years of being in the high 390s -low 400s, my joints hurt. Anything more than a brisk walk and spurts of awkward jogging leave me nearly immobile the next day. With a full time job and 25 minute drive to work, I can't afford to injure my knees or something else and be laid up with no activity during a recovery. So I have to remind myself as I admire these fitness role models that one day I will be doing those activities. Heck, at the pace I am going it may even be next month for some of the exercises.

I am very happy with my progress thus far. 45 days ago at 390 pounds, after several months of not trying to lose my fat, I could barely get a 1 mile walk in. Today, about 35 pounds lighter, I was able to do 2 miles with jogging...and if it weren't for needing to get kids home and dinner fixed, I could've went at least .25 mile further. The old pessimist Mike would say "I have so much more weight to lose" or "Why bother walking, that isn't real exercise", but now I can say I have lost almost 1/4th of what my goal to lose is in 45 days and any movement I do is better than sitting on my butt! I will do more to whip my body into shape eventually, when physically possible without injury. For now though, eating right and a brisk walk with the family is helping me transform myself into becoming the man I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment