Sunday, January 1, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hello 2012! The new year brings an opportunity for a fresh start to each of us. We can move past the not so good events of last year and focus on the potential for great things this year. I use the word "potential" for a reason. Almost every year I have thinking I would make great changes for the better and by mid-year have seen them falter. As discouraging as these memories of failed resolutions are, I am using them as motivation for this year. Chloe and I are determined more than ever to break old habits and re-invent ourselves as healthy individuals.

Our year is beginning with our gameplan:
Common sense has to make a come back with regards to how we eat. The days of eating at buffets and leaving feeling like crap are over. No more crap (snack cakes, chips, cookies, etc...) will be brought in the house. It's so easy to say that we'll just have a little every now and again, but it's even easier to have a whole bunch of it often. We gotta get back to shopping around the border of the grocery store and ditch the middle. This is the area where the produce, proteins and dairy are kept. The middle is primarily the processed foods that we need to avoid. We also have to get moving. No more searching for the closest parking spot. No more sitting around for hours at a time. Even if it is just walking at first, we have to become for physically active.

Obviously, the gameplan isn't rocket science. Eat in moderation, make healthy food choices, increase activity and support each other. Can't get much simpler. It's just a shame it took so many years to accept this.

I have always wanted a quick weight loss or a magic solution. At one point, and for some of these several points, I have tried all of the following weight loss ideas: Weight Watchers, T.O.P.S, Slim Fast, Metabolife, bee pollen pills, green tea diet, low carb, no carb, The Zone, protein shakes, cabbage soup diet, grapefruit diet, "Mayo Diet" (turns out, there is no official Mayo Clinic diet), liquid diet, Adipex, Dexitrim and countless other pills/diets. All were tried with the hope of fast weight loss. Only Weight Watchers advised sensible eating and slower weight loss...which is probably why I never stayed on it for long. TOPS was just a weight loss club for weigh ins and support...unfortunately I was about 30 years younger than everyone so felt kinda out of place. I'm sure the other things have worked for some, but there is no perfect weight loss plan for everyone. Fortunately though, as long as you stick with it, eating smart and being active works for everyone.

The hardest thing for me will be handling a slow and steady weight loss. I am impatient, I can admit that. I am as of last week I'm 400+ pounds and I am not happy. I want it off and quickly, but quick weight loss does not equal long lasting weight loss. This will be a mental thing and hopefully support from family and friends along with the blog and other people's books/blogs will fix my mentality on slow weight loss.

Our weigh in numbers will be posted probably Tuesdays since this coincides with The Biggest Loser show (I know we are not on the show, but it makes sense to me to use the same day :o) Pictures will be posted soon today. They were freshly taken just before I started this post.

It's been a long post, but future posts will be shorter I promise. I look forward to the comments and support from anyone reading this and hope our journey can help anyone who is on their own weigh loss journey. Take care and talk to you soon!

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Mike and Chloe,

    Each day, hour and minute will bring you closer to your goal! There will be many obstacles along the way, even if you stumble, doesn't mean you have failed! Just remember that you are doing this for you! And that is most important, you are not doing it for anyone else, although it will benefit the whole family and your friends to have a healthier you! Although you are just getting started on this quest, CONGRATULATIONS! Making this choice, is your first hurdle! Keep up with the motivation and I know you will do great! If you need someone to talk or a motivational k.i.t.a just holler!
    Love,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete