Monday, July 8, 2013

Two Weeks of Freshness

Two weeks ago yesterday, my family and I proclaimed a fresh start to living healthy. This was probably the 1000th fresh start I have had since I was a dieting 4 year old. It seems different this time though. I have put all the little helpful tidbits I have known for all my years of trying to lose weight and added them to new things. This fresh start has been something special, I can feel it and see it.

The education of food has been with me for ages...I just chose to make excuses not to follow it. I know low fat means higher carb and low carb means higher fat. I know fried is bad and grilled is good. I know what calories I need and can judge how many are in most foods. More importantly now though, I know the difference between processed crap foods and clean foods. Also, I now realize as long as I am eating the right foods, I don't have to waste my time worrying about carbs, fat grams or, to a point, calories.

I've heard "eat less, move more" for ages...I just didn't pay attention to the move more part, and as stated above, I disregarded eat less. I bought the workout clothes. My cabinet has housed tons of vhs and dvd workouts. No episode of weigh loss reality shows go unwatched. I joined a gym multiple times, but would walk a treadmill a few times and quit. I could dress, shop and talk like I exercised, but I didn't exercise. Now, everyday we are either at a track or gym getting our long walk in. I have also came to terms that I will not be able to go hardcore on working out until physical limitations my size has me under are lifted. One day though, my 1.5 mile walks will be a few mile jogs mixed with weights. I know this now to be true for my future.

The above knowledge mixed with this blog, our weight loss group on Facebook and the fact the entire family is in this together makes this fresh start special and still fresh. As of Sunday 7/7/13 I weight 18 pounds less than I did 6/24/13. This is all thanks to following the common sense I had previously ignored. I drink lots of water, I eat regular portions of real food and I make myself sweat and exercise each day. No secret pills and no starvation, just doing what I should have been doing for decades. Better late than never.

I am early in this journey, but one day I will look at these posts and will hope that my journey (and that of my whole family) may inspire others to make their changes for a better life too.

Til next time,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment