Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Truly Happy Birthday

Today is my 36th birthday. I never get too excited over birthdays and never really celebrate mine. Today was no different in that sense, but it hit me tonight just how special it is. This birthday is the first one I have had while living a healthy lifestyle. That is something celebration worthy. Just check out the alternative birthday cake that my awesome kids made for me (yes, that is an apple with grapes) for further proof that this one is a special birthday.


Every previous birthday has involved a big meal out somewhere. After devouring probably 1600 calories, I would come home to a couple pieces of cake or giant cookie and ice cream. Than I would think about all the things I wanted to do that particular year in my life. It never failed that losing weight was always tops on my list of to do items.

How crazy is that?! No wonder I have never succeeded at long term weight loss. I started every year with a binge eating day. But hey, that's what you are supposed to do on birthdays...only it doesn't have to be. There is so much more to a birthday.

At least three people mentioned birthday cake or asked my dinner plans while I was at work. To be honest, I never even considered having either one today. Instead I took some time today to think about how special this day is and how great this year will be. Starting my 36th year in the midst of a 20 pound weight loss in the last 15 days is a perfect beginning. My kids and wife are right there with me eating healthy and exercising. We have a new lifestyle, not just a diet, that will benefit my whole family. By next year I could be at or near my goal weight and my risks for all the hereditary diseases in my family will be reduced greatly. No cake or entree can come close to those things.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like I am living again. So many years I just went through the motions of life. Work, eat, sleep, tend to kids, tend to my mom and sometimes tend to myself. Now I am actually doing the right things to take care of me and help me out. Having the family doing the same thing as me takes away any guilt I think I used to feel when I would just focus on me.

There are still some emotional issues that I think lead me to some of my food addiction I am working through understanding, As I approach my late 30s I am thankful to finally recognize these things so that I can leave them in the past. Another positive sign that this will be the best year yet health wise.

That is why today is a truly happy birthday...even without wings 'n fries, marble cake and french vanilla ice cream!

Mike

2 comments:

  1. From one weight loss blogger to another, congradulations on all your achievements. I was sent here from fat2fit radio.com . I hope you strenght in staying steadfast to your goals and inspiration. Keep up the good work. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Appreciate the kind words and support. I checked out your blog and seeing the great strength training and running you are doing is equally inspiring. Good luck to you on hitting your goal, but I don't think you need any luck with your routine and dedication.

      Delete