Monday, September 2, 2013

Seemed Like a Good Idea..

You ever think you have a good idea, follow through with it and then have it go way different than planned? Well, I had one of those this past Saturday. It had been about a week and the scales had not budged, so of course I did my usual frustrated brainstorming routine to think of possible solutions. I looked back at my MyFitnessPal food journal and seen that most days I hovered around the 1100 calorie mark and decided I was eating too little. Than I got to thinking how I had been on track since 6/24/13 without any kind of cheat day. So...Saturday I decided I would allow myself to have a meal of anything I wanted, within reason. BAD IDEA!!!!

I began that day with a banana and a protein cereal bar. So far, so good (even though I never eat those cereal bars due to all the processed ingredients and sugar).

Than all heck broke loose at a Wendy's around 2pm.

What started as a small fries with a jr. bacon cheeseburger escalated big time. It was like another personality took control of my body. Like a switch was flipped that turned me into a monster and broke off so I couldn't turn it off. I was in full gluttonous binge mode and had no control and wanted no control over it.

So get ready for my full shameful disclosure of what I consumed this "cheat day":
For Lunch-
2 junior bacon cheeseburgers
1 crispy chicken ceasar wrap
1 medium fry
1 single 1/4 pound cheeseburger

For Dinner-
Probably 25 tortilla chips w/salsa
Dinner size mixed fajitas with 2 tortillas
Rice and refried beans

Snack-
4 soft baked cookies

Grand total of calories for Saturday was 4188.

I awoke Sunday feeling like I wanted to throw up. The guilt of the binge hurt more than the physical agony of a day of eating like crap. Fortunately, some good came from this "cheat day" calamity.

This was a great wake up call that I am still a food addict. My success over the last 2 months means nothing if I take even a meal off from eating right. This showed me that I cannot take a break when it comes to eating and that my body and mentality will suffer if I do. After getting right back on track Sunday and telling my weight loss community on Facebook about it also shows me that I have grown and matured in my weight loss journey. I was able to put the old food addict in me back in his cage and carry on with my new healthy lifestyle. A few months back I would have continued the junk food binge through the weekend and gained all my weight back. Not this time though. This was a speed bump on my road to my goal weight. I have realized that I need to deal with days where the scale won't move and stay the course. Eventually, my body will catch up with my good habits. I know I need to up my calories by adding maybe more healthy carbs and protein, not by adding processed crap to my diet.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, and wasn't...but at least I learned a lesson from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment