Sunday, June 9, 2013

Spinning our wheels

We have lost a lot since the last time I posted, just not weight. We have lost the desire to work out and have went to the gym 3 times in the almost 3 months we have belonged to it. We have lost motivation to choose the right foods when we eat out. We have lost the common sense to eat right at home. We have lost our way. Fortunately we have not lost our instinct to want to lose weight. Unfortunately though, just wanting to lose this weight is not enough to do it.

I find spurts of motivation daily. There are some great pages I follow on Facebook. The Anti-Jared, Kiss my fat goodbye, Bryan Ganey and some others that share their lives and the struggles to lose weight. Of course, my own demons come out hours later that lead me to eating too much and terrible foods. I watch Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition and am moved by the lives that are changed. Just not moved enough to actually move off of the couch and exercise. As I browse Yahoo for news headlines, I read the life changing weight loss stories that come from various news outlets and find myself feeling down thinking about how that could be my story had I not failed so often with my own journey.

I have been fat for so many years that I have became an expert on how to lose weight...but can't seem to do it. I know how many calories are in most foods. The serving size of just about any food is pretty easy for me to realize. The food part of healthy eating I know, I just don't follow it close enough. On top of all that is my lack of exercising. So here I am still spinning my wheels on my weight loss journey and holding down the rest of my family as they follow in my footsteps.

But there is hope on the horizon.

For years I have heard that food addiction is triggered by emotional or psychological issues. I have always balked at that. My food issues I summed up to just loving the taste of food. After all, what could I possibly have on my mind that would drive me to food for comfort? This last few days, after seeing so many shows and stories speaking about psychological reasons for food addiction, I decided to at least think about that possibility. I think that maybe there is something to it. I won't get into it on here, but there are some things that this big daddy has been through that maybe I haven't gotten past. So hopefully as I deal with those ghosts in my head, my eating habits will change.

I hope there is still someone out there reading this that can relate to the long journey of losing weight and would love to hear from you if you are. There will be more posts to come soon and perhaps a community weight loss support page on Facebook again sometime in the near future. Take care friends.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment